Monday, October 26, 2009

Yeah, they'll pass you by

OK, be prepared: this is very, very sappy - it's more for me to reflect. Don't say I didn't warn you...

I had another interview last Friday in KC - it was at a really awesome production house and it went really, really well. Keeping my fingers crossed. I opted to fly back to Chicago Friday night so I could enjoy my last weekend here and as I was getting dropped off at the airport, Mike said to me, "This is the last time we'll have to say goodbye like this." It was so sweet - and as I was flying back to Chicago it hit me - this will be a week full "last times" for me. Well, last times for a while anyway.

Friday night I went out with my roomies and a bunch of our friends. I'm pretty sure we're going out Thursday night, so that wasn't totally a last time, but close... Then Saturday, all of my roommates were officially moved into their new place. The last time we were all at Marshfield. Sunday, a few of us ran a 10k in Oak Park. The last time I spend an hour running and chatting with friends around the Chicago 'hoods. Last night, we went to our favorite restaurant, Rose Angelis. The last time I drool over their amazing handmade pasta and spend WAY too much on a meal. (This time, though, they recognized us - we go there about once a month - and they bought us a dessert on the house!) Tonight, we have our book club meeting. The last time I'll sit around a coffee table with some of the sweetest girls I've ever met chatting about the roles of women, the stories behind the characters, the parallels and similarities we can draw into our own lives... Tomorrow, a date night with my bestie Katie: atop the Hancock building, where we'll inevitably spend $13 on a martini and $15 on one app. The last time I'll see the Chi skyline from up above. Wednesday, official and final cleaning day. I'm sure there'll be lots of cleaning days in the future, but this is the last one with these girls. Thursday, a night out at the Houndstooth. The last night of hug-chugging 40s in paper bags. And singing Taylor Swift to randoms. And my last night in Chicago. My last night in my (now empty) place at Marshfield. A very bittersweet night for sure.

It's impossible not to be excited to move to KC. I've spent 10 long months away from my best friend and I'm ready for that to be over. But I'm leaving people that I've grown way closer to than I ever could imagine. I know I'll miss them more and more each day, and I won't really realize how much they mean to me until some time in the future. With a big move happening right now, serious job hunt efforts underway, another big move at the end of January and a wedding to plan in only ONE year, it'll be tough to find the time to get to see everyone who's helped me make some of the most wonderful and unforgettable memories anyone could ask for.

It's a very bittersweet time, and everyone goes through it...I happen to be the first of my close-knit group of friends. My time here in Chicago was great, and went by faster than I thought it would. I'll miss it for sure, but I have a whole new life waiting to fall into place and for that, I couldn't be more excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment