Monday, October 19, 2009

No clever title here: I'm engaged!

I love fall. I love the cool, crisp air, the beautiful color of the trees, and the sound of dried leaves crunching under my feet. My newest fall memory? I got engaged on the most beautiful fall day of my life.

Mike and I went back to ISU for Homecoming this past weekend. We got in late on Thursday night and had already planned to spend Friday morning together. We woke up and Mike took me to walk around campus - he knew I would enjoy the weather and we both wanted to check out the homecoming displays. We started to walk around ISU's Lake Lavern (ISU tradition: if you walk around Lake Lavern 3 times with your ISU sweetheart, the two of you will be married). We had walked around the lake before and decided to do so again. Mike suggested we sit on a bench and enjoy the peacefulness (a bench we had sat on for hours our freshman year, the first time we walked around the lake). We started to talk and Mike told me that he wanted to spend the rest of his life making me happy. Before I knew it, there was a ring, I was hearing the words "Marry me," and Mike was down on one knee. I of course said yes and immediately started hugging and kissing my new groom-to-be.

We called our families and all of my girlfriends - all of whom are incredibly happy for us. After we had shared the news with our family, we started to celebrate - we went to our favorite (and the only) Ames brewery to share a few cold ones (the seasonal Oktoberfest, of course, only heightening my love for the Fall season). Lunch was followed by a 12-hour celebration with friends, drinking and Welch Ave. (We totally conquered the thought that we can't day drink and rally into the night anymore).

I've never been happier. I had an enormours sense of pride this morning while riding public transit and showing off my UNBELIEVABLE engagement ring. I mean, I get to spend the rest of my life with me best friend! What more could I want? Happy is what happens when all your dreams come true - and mine just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment